Sep 22, 2013

Beutiful vintage


A new e-shop for vintage clothes and accessories was opened last week; Stiina's. Stiina Huhtanen is a Finnish stylist living in Berlin and the items she sells are mostly Finnish with some treasuries found in Berlin. The web page of Stiina's is really beautiful, stylish and really easy to use. You can find the items and the description of them easily and prices also seem to be fair enough, affordable.

In the past years vintage and retro have been really a trending topic and widely used describing and especially when selling things. An old item sounds so much better when you say its a "vintage" piece. I was glad when in Olivia's August issue they had a description of these "old" terms, to have some clearance what is what. Following is from Olivia's August 2013 issue:

Antique: more than 100 years old
Vintage: from the 1920's to 1980's
Retro: from the 1960's to 1970's
Second hand: from 1990's
Old/Recycled: all garments produced after 1990's

I have never been a fan of retro; the brownish color palette and more or less psychedelic prints have never attracted me, but vintage has always appealed to me. Old, well done and sewn pieces  evoques great respect in me. My dream job would have been one of a seamestress, but as we live in the prosperous era my parents didn’t let me to study in profesional school, instead I had to go to high school in order to then graduate from university…and at that time I didn’t have my own will to choose against them. Well, old things. Now I have my sewing machine at home and the possibility to create things always when I want to, or have time for it.

Following pics are from the Stiina's web pages.





One outfit from the Stiina's. The shirt has funny ruffle sleeves.




No comments:

Post a Comment