Nov 14, 2011

Funny book



Yesterday I bought a funny book; 101 Things I learned in Fashion School by Alfredo Cabrera with Matthew Frederick. It caught my eye while visiting a museum shop and after visiting the exhibition I had to return to the shop to buy it. It seemed like containing funny, but wise and ironic ideas to fashion students. In Author's Note Cabrera says: "A good fashion design curriculum encourages students to come up with informed, creative solutions to the problem of dressing people for their lives. In my years of teaching, I have found that the greatest obstacle to this goal is not the acquiring of technical proficiency or adequate intellectual information -...- but in accepting the need to design to real people." Yes, I do agree. Already the word fashion gives a certain extravagant and maybe silly air to the theme and that is why I always prefer saying that I have studied clothing and textile, and not fashion. I have such an practical approach to garments that we are wearing, so that "fashionfashion" is not the word for me. I am not fashionable, although I do follow what are the trends and new things out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment