Aug 27, 2013

The Moomins

There are certain things I like in Finland, emotional and part of the childhood, nostalgic things. The Moomins are this kind of all time favorite Finnish fairytale characters.

Created by Tove Jansson (1914-2001) a Finnish novelist and artist the first Moomin book was published in 1945. The Moomins are a troll family that are a bit bohemian, loves nature and are very tolerant towards diversity. A very respectful family and a good role model for children. Although Moomin fairytales are for children, many adults also love them. They are so calm, wise and peaceful.

At the airport of Helsinki there are a shop dedicated to all kind of Moomin merchandising; books, clothes, mugs etc. I have only one Moomin mug and just recently my friend gave me a Moomin apron; really sweet pastel apron. This time I bought to my friend the newest mug from the Arabian collection of Moomin mugs as I could't resist the sweet Snork Maiden (Niiskuneiti) getting herself pretty in this pink cup. It reminded me of my friend and that's why she got it as a souvenir.



Tove Jansson's illustration are graphical, I'm really fond of them.


P.S. I just learned today that Tove Janssons's second name was "Marika", oih; Tove Marika Jansson. Marika doesn't really sound a Swedish name as Tove Jansson's family were Swedish-speaking Finnish family, but it is so nice that she had the same name as me. Here in Spain presenting myself as "Marika" provokes always a funny reaction as in Spanish "marica" means gay. Usually I need to repeat my name twice, but afterwards people do remember it.

No comments:

Post a Comment