Sep 24, 2012

A magazine or a book?

Inspired by the document of the Vogue's September Issue I went down to the international magazines kiosk to find my copy of the American Vogue. Luckily I was still on time as they still had one Issue left. All together the kiosk had received 200 issues and after my purchase sold them all.  Having the magazine in my bag I couldn't help myself wondering whether it is actually a book more than a paper. Really. I know the speciality of the September Issue is that almost more important is the weight and the number of pages than the content itself, but still. This year it is...hmmm...heavy and has 916 pages (thickness = 3cm).

The American Vogue is having its anniversary this year. 120-year-old, not bad; congratulations! Although the issue is a special anniversary issue I find it a bit irritating; only adds, adds, adds...and really you need to search for some reading. As this is a reference for the whole this seasons fashion I would still need something else than only advertisements on it. Of course the adds are containing clothes, accessories, what ever of the upcoming season, but I had expected to be able to actually read something... Now this thick item seems to be too thick and empty in content in order to be accepted as a good morning reading...

I don't know, maybe the Sep Issue is not that special at all and might be that next year's one will stay on the kiosk. The document did raise some high expectations that, at this time at least, were not fulfilled.


Sculptural Lady Gaga on the cover of the thick Sep 2012 issue



Very first Vogue on December 1892



No comments:

Post a Comment